Sunday, December 30, 2012

Wool Coat Time: Tweed







There are very few wool coats that demonstrate seriousness and subtle playfulness at the same time: tweed is one of them. I’m seeing a lot of tweed on the streets in the form of coats, jackets and blazers. So, what makes for a good tweed item?


1) Structure:
            Structure is crucial for any tweed item to work, because tweed is thick and inflexible. I would opt for something that really tailors to the body—particularly the torso when it comes to coats. An elongated collar looks confident and edgy. Fabric paneling and peplum are other cool details to look for. Peacoat styles, asymmetrical cuts and exaggerated pockets take away the “stiff” appearance of wool coats.  I’m really feeling a lot men’s tweed coats and jackets right now—they have the hard edge and thickness that I’m looking for, but are cut in a way that avoids the added bulk.


2) Pattern:
Because of the “flecked” appearance of wool, there are many different types of shades choose from. Find a shade that complements what you will wear with it: dark colored jeans, leggings, etc.

3) Think outside the box:
Tweed hats, sneakers and watches are another way to incorporate tweed, and in my opinion one of the coolest because the outcome is unique and funky.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

About Me

My photo
The girl with a million ideas and not enough places to put them.